Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Experience

"Men seldom make passes / At girls who wear glasses"-Dorothy Parker

Yup. Dorothy had it right. I think I could add to her list, too. Or perhaps just make it more specific; Men seldom make passes at girls named Chelsea Magruder.

But, bless her, she kindly avoided using my name. Plus, Magruder does not really rhyme with glasses. Maybe I could just modify it a bit to fit...Men seldom try to get in the cooter of girls named Chelsea Magruder. Not as eloquent. More crass than anything.

I digress. What I am trying to convey is that I feel that Dorothy Parker is a kindred spirit. Her poetry, short stories and witty quips share an emotionally honest look at what it means to be a woman. Whether that woman be in love, out of love, looking for love or looking for an end. Even though she wrote a bulk of her verses almost ninety years ago, those verses give a certain solace; I know that I am not the first, or last, woman to fail to "inspire / In men the rush and roar of fire." She humourusly sums up how I feel about most men I have met; they "Were---shall we say?---born out of wedlock."

Most important to anyone reading this, Dorothy Parker has inspired me to share my own experiences. Not to meet some sort of self-aggrandizing agenda, but in hopes that through (what I hope to convey as) wit, I can help other women find solace and humor in those experiences that make us who we are. And selfishly, to make myself find solace and humor in those experiences.

So, expect to find posts about past, present and future experiences in my life. I think the prevailing theme will be of that bitch LOVE and my experience in the pursuit of it. As you can tell by my beginning, my experiences tend to be more pessimistic than anything. There will also be some observations and rhetorical questions thrown in to mix things up. Oh, and constant references to and quotes from Dorothy Parker, my own personal god.


Next time...."In the Beginning there was Adam...."

No comments:

Post a Comment